1512 Hayes Street
This property was in a parcel of land consisting of 283 acres, owned by Elizabeth Austin (the wife of Stephen F. Austin) in 1881. The owners of this property were: G.M. Dodge; J.A. Kemp; Mrs. J.O. McDowell; John Taylor; B.B. Bacon; M.C. Yanston; Dr. J.B. Nail; T.L. Wheeler; and Ed and Bettye Hanvey. The house was built by Dr. J.B. Nail and his wife, Jonnie, in 1923. It was sold to T.L. Wheeler and wife, Louise, in 1934. Mr. Wheeler died in 1934 and the house was willed to his wife Elma Wheeler, and their two daughters Barbara and Marilyn. Mrs. Wheeler died in 1946, leaving the property to the daughters. The Hanveys purchased the property from the Wheeler estate in 1952.
The above doesn’t exactly make sense as they have T.L. Wheeler married to Louise AND Elma, and it shows him buying the house and dying in the same year. This supposedly came from one of our neighborhood newsletters, and was reprinted in our Historic District Designation application.Tags: 1512 Hayes
This post was written by Christine Heidebrecht